Feral Bone Bio

Hello! I am Leggs, and over the past few years I've been learning how to sculpt in a program called Blender. Blender is a free program with plenty of resources and tutorials online that can help just about anyone start sculpting. After seeing Prey I knew I had to sculpt the Feral Predators helmet. I first started with collecting screenshots from the film and blocking out the basic shape. sculpt1575655109_Screenshot2022-08-09133736.thumb.png.5ca3aa95390072af85c784d8530f964d.png

858706382_Screenshot2022-08-10010433.thumb.png.19761be3937d211395d80b3a479f0e83.png

Very shortly after reaching this point all of the Behind the scenes images started being released which prompted me to quickly...start over.

feral1.thumb.png.4ddae3b8d0f747bce510ea4c590e8168.pngferal4.thumb.png.5c13b4dfd98de731325e61d846fada8b.png

sculpt #2 was already off to a great start, but admittedly with the frequency of references being released i soon got a bit overwhelmed and restarted a 3rd and 4th time. Unfortunately i do not have many screenshots of these two sculpts. 

feral.render.2.thumb.png.d32ce178433eb17bccf64916e3bfd64b.pngferal.render.thumb.png.c886aadee1595deb1a62c7260b54b1f4.png

I felt fairly confident in this 4th sculpt, I even tried to use Blenders vertex paint tools to try and mockup some color. Admittedly shading and applying textures/colors to models is not my strongest skill. Finally after another week of fiddling, noodling, and other various refining, i finally homed in on something that I felt confident in test printing.

feral.5.8.thumb.png.ee6db60a4a0cd7dd04d511a70612eea9.pngferal.5.9.thumb.png.3f54d8ef05755f1e5421ae5dd99bbe29.png

I'm SURE that its not 100% accurate but its good enough for me, for now. Chances are I'lll work on this again in the future, still feels like some of the proportions are just.....not quite there yet.

What do you think? I'd love to hear any kind critiques and constructive criticisms!

• Like 5

Thank you for all the detailed notes explaining your process. Helps to understand what it really takes to sculpt in 3D programs.

I believe I've heard it Blender before. Although I am 100% a noob when it comes to 3D sculpting and printing. It fascinates me though.

As for your progress? I am amazed you had the patience to go at this thing 3 times. I can see your evolution of it in the pics.

The fourth and final version? Looks like a slam dunk printable version to me!

So when can we expect to see a hard copy printed?

Thanks for sharing. Lovin it!

44 minutes ago, MeanGene said:

Thank you for all the detailed notes explaining your process. Helps to understand what it really takes to sculpt in 3D programs.

I believe I've heard it Blender before. Although I am 100% a noob when it comes to 3D sculpting and printing. It fascinates me though.

As for your progress? I am amazed you had the patience to go at this thing 3 times. I can see your evolution of it in the pics.

The fourth and final version? Looks like a slam dunk printable version to me!

So when can we expect to see a hard copy printed?

Thanks for sharing. Lovin it!

I'm glad I can help! Admittedly I've only been using blender for about 2/3 years, I sometimes find it difficult to explain my work as I feel like I learn something new with every single object I make! I think currently we are waiting for another ~140 hours till the first print is finished. provided there are no errors. 

42 minutes ago, MeanGene said:

Here is a silly question...

Can you print in white resin?

yes and no. My largest resin print beds are about 192*120*250mm and 192*120*200mm , so printing it at 1:1 scale would be a bit difficult, it would maybe end up being a 6/8 piece print. If I can find sometime between my commission work i'll give it a shot in resin! My hope is that I can save up some funds and get an even larger resin printer in the next few months, dreaming of the Phrozen Mega 8k. 

My test print is going onto my Cr10s4 fdm printer and the settings iirc are :

Material : Hatchbox Black 1.75mm filament

Nozzle Temp : 210

Bed Temp : 60

Layer Height : .12mm 

Infill : 5%

Walls : 4 

my hope is that it will be a good balance of durability and weight.

If this test print comes out well I plan to print a second version is translucent filament and try my hand at some of the crazy lighting details the helmets have in the behind the scenes images. 

25 minutes ago, oooICEMANooo said:

Well... So far from what I'm seeing it looks legit. Seeing printed and painted up going look killer.

11 minutes ago, Kithunter said:

This is very cool, having drawn it a few times I can see you nailed the details..

THANK YOU BOTH FOR THE KIND WORDS! 

really just going for it i guess, Prey has really re-set in that "you want to make Predator stuff" itch. With the concept art that came out today I couldn't resist trying my hand at the chain clamp. I've never tried to print any of those "print-in-place" articulated toys that are popular on Cults, let alone try and model one. Going to try and squeeze this onto a resin printer tonight.

Screenshot 2022-08-20 211042.png

• Like 5

22 hours ago, MeanGene said:

How is that print going? Done yet?!

nooooooo. woke up late this morning and slept through my filament run out alarms. So our print failed at about 75%  T____T

Even though it failed that the print actually came out much better than I had hoped. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MeanGene said:

Damn. Sounds like some good news bad news. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I like to look for every opportunity for improvement among my failures. Its so much easier to visualize the nuances of proportion when holding the object in hand. Definitely want to rework the model and thin out the sculpt so that it has much less internal geometry. Definitely going to need to retighten the belts and get some more filament before trying again. 

20220827_134103.jpg

20220827_143734.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ritualhunter said:

Love to print these files for my predator suit they look so cool there are not a lot of files out there for predator gear.

lol yeah i really want to print a bunch of this stuff too XD ! My printers are tied up for a bit while longer before I can get to print some of my own.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MeanGene said:

Ohhh yeah!!!

Wow. Great job.

Tough to see the details with it being clear. Looks outstanding.

What's the next plan?

Your clear print gives me an idea.

See below. They cast a clear bio, painted everywhere except the cracks and then backlight it.

large.46795821_feralbiowithlights.png.a3be8c171fb7a9a370ba12bfe8148a32.pnglarge.received_794372061560614.jpeg.f85236ef32a63d68bac4a0480b6e5330.jpeg

the next step is to coat the print in some self leveling resin to smooth out the surface and fill in layer lines, then we're going to mask off the cracks and give it a nice coat of black primer and go from there! Actually heard from Sara today, they were very kind enough to post some lit up pictures like this on their instagram!

Edited by Leggs.obj