Jungle Hunter Bust

Hi, im new to the forum, this is my latest attempt at a predator bust. Im still pretty early in the process, not sure yet whether to print it in 1/4 or 1/6 scale. For years my dream has been to sculpt the full lost tribe, at least in bust form, so I hope to finish him an a city hunter to start mixing them and making the tribe. 

3.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I paid a lot of attention to the patterns of the skin texture and detail. For a long time it has been my goal to make one of the most accurate portraits of the jungle hunter and eventually the city hunter, this is like my third attempt at it 😅. I will never get it as good as Matt Rose did, it´s just imposible to match his talent, but so far im happy with how it´s going. Amazing score and reference pics btw, I will definetly use them to improve my sculpt.

Thanks Gene, it would be great. Currently it has 58 holes. I made them using pics I could find of Morris costumes/ Stan Winston heads around the internet as reference, but  it may still not be 100% right. As for the texture, it was a mixture of improvisation and reference, since it's not gonna be seen too much with the dreads on. Writing this made me realize I will have to cast 58 dreads for each head I'm planning to make 😬, thankfully it will be at 1/6 scale so many can be made at the same time.

1.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, just wanted to leave a quick update on the proyect. I basically redid the eyes and mouth, and tweaked some proportions of the head to make it a bit more accurate. 

I threw in a quick, dirty paintjob and render and I can see theres still room for improvement so any comments/suggestions are very welcomed and would be of much help  

2.2.JPG

ZBrush Document.jpg

• Like 3

This looks great. The only critique I would give is the eyes. What I loved about the movie mask was the eyes were sunk and looked grumpy.

This angle from the movie was always my favorite.

tumblr_pql7etdSfw1x6m6njo1_1280.thumb.jpg.6c86de3d9a89543729c5a00053ccaa17.jpg

Also, if you look at some of the pictures with Matt Rose working on the heads in the trailer. The dreds are swept back in a deliberate way at what seems like a short length. 

What is the final goal? Print a bunch of heads for sale?

Thanks Gene, I definitely agree. The eyes on mine need to have more character, they are quite sunken in already, but maybe they could be a bit higher and deeper like in the movie still 

As far as a goal for it, it´s been my goal for years to make the ultimate jungle hunter and city hunter portraits. Of course, there are companies like Prime one that have nailed it much better, but I´ve done a traditionally sculpted lifesize, 1/3 and now this digital one that will be printed in 1/6 and so far this is my best attempt yet. 

Nowadays, I mostly sculpt 1/6 heads/ busts and I figured out that other than a bust, this could work as a head for the classic predator from hot toys, since many collectors like to turn their classic into the original jungle hunter. It is a passion project, but I will be offering a few heads to whoever´s interested.  

Edited by Mauricioch98
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys, sculpt is finally done (except a close mandibles head and possibly a masked one later on), keying and mold making are the next steps (Im gonna 3d print a mold to be able to do silicone dreads). Hopefully I will be able to print most of it next weekend 

image2.JPG

Edited by Mauricioch98
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, working on this really makes me appreciate the work you guys do in full suits even more, so much work is going into this and it´s just a small bust I cann´t imagen doing a full life size predator 😅

After many test prints, Im finally good with the size of it, here´s the final test print of the open mouth head on the hot toys figure, Im still refining  the paint job, don´t want to go too far away from the hot toys body 

20230613_175306.thumb.jpg.19e7da3f203599b68d7ad7400d9b0a8d.jpgIMG_20230612_145327_894.thumb.jpg.8caf5924a113ee8c88319bc698172ea4.jpg

Edited by Mauricioch98
  • Like 4

Thanks Gene. Im no 3d printing expert myself, but with the proper prepping it could be printed in any size. My resin printer could fit a 1/4 scale head tops, but  there are bigger resin printers out there, they are just way out of my price range. It´s also cheaper to print in a bigger scale using plastic filament printers, but the detail gets lost quite a bit and overall I´ve got zero experience with them so I don´t really know what the process of printing something like this would be