city hunter

large.661319722_p2helmet.jpg.af340fe2477c837ee07646fdadfea3d2.jpg
This picture is interesting because the helmet looks so dark. But this is probably due to age.

If you look at some of the original paintwork done day 1 it is much more shiney and bright.
Has a dark gold/brass/bronze look to it. Copper tones also.
Depends on the light as it hits it.

Best paintjob I ever managed had that bright bronze color as the base. Then built off of that.

• Like 1

I recall reading somewhere that the bio was Gold to begin then different weathering and aging applied. i did similar ( but not as heavy on my 1st infinity gauntlet , using MTN metallic gold then FW inks over the top.
BUT

there are many many ways to do this, this is just my thoughts as you asked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dremel wasn't too bad really ... I will take a look at that accessory.....but it's the Milwaukee multi told that was the one that was incredibly noisy And 1st time using it.. And yes numb hands is very bad for you in the long term  You have to be very careful when using power tools for a long periods of time

Edited by Lwoff0677

If you are looking for some helpful ideas?
Here goes:
The best paintjobs with weathering are done in layers. Layering colors.

Use a sponge to dab on and off.
Sometimes a semi wet paper towel is. 
The more you dab of different colors it can create layers. 

Tell a story in your head as you paint. 
Water would pool here, so this needs extra corrosion.
This crack needs more dirt because its a low area and would settle here.
This area would be a high point and be prone to getting rubbed and be less dirty.

All of that story helps guide the paint process.
 @oooICEMANooo Is a legend when it comes to paint.
Curious to see what he would say.

• Thanks 1

I haven't found the right technique yet painting p2 helmets. P2 is my least favorite helmet to paint, for right now though. But what helped me is, paint whole helmet in a good shiny copper and lay on the patinas. Like start with copper, browns, rust then go with the greens.

Google some pictures of copper, some pictures show what copper does in the elements. Some show other colors depending on what the environment the copper is in.

• Like 2

The process of a good copper shine is copy the process on how you paint chrome.

Base: black and gloss the helmet out the ass. Then mist the copper on the get the good reflected look, 

Base: black, then seal the black in high gloss several times. Then mist the copper over to get that mirror look. Mist several copper colors to create layers then you can go down and dry brush some other colors

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd try some metallic orange washes instead of going right to the darker tones. I had pretty cool results when I used that color when I painted my first P2 helmet, over 50 years ago. Search for pictures of old brass door knobs; Gold doesn't age or weather like other metals. I combined the weathering process of both Brass and Copper when I did my P2 helmet. But  as previously said, do the weathering in layers and do it subtly. Might take you a bit longer, but worh it if you have the patience - especially for the dry times. The P2 helmet is definitely the most work intensive (and frustrating) paint job because it's a hell of a lot more complex than the other movie helmets as far as coloring goes. The same goes for the LH helmets as well.  

• Thanks 1

I got that from Scott; aka "TheMortalImmortal" from the old Hunters Lair. I got it for free because it was one of Dan Bravo's P2 helmets (Scott had other things he wanted to paint, and didn't wanna dick with it) and the helmet itself was so extremely warped. I mean badly. So, I did what I could. I added the brow accent, and had to putty, smooth, and sharpen other areas - especially the tri-laser housing. But, the unique thing about it, is that it has the full under-chin area - complete with the breathing holes scored in it. Which surprised me, because the helmet had been re-cast so many times most of the texture on the helmet had been lost.  From certain angles it looks good, but from other angles the warpage is awful. I still have it. It was a great practice piece. It took me two attempts to get it where it's at in the picture. This is what it looks like now under low light - 

*Edit - I can't remember if the chin holes were scored or not. But, I drilled out the holes anyway. I still need to install the lasers I bought years ago. 

132651_1659521560681_241491_o.jpg

Edited by PredatoRob
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, it's got a lot of detail and still has the chin piece - but I just don't understand how it got so warped. When I painted it, I pretty much just threw the kitchen sink at it and hoped for the best. That's an old picture of it, but I'm surprised how well the paint has held up over the years. Many, many years. And to be honest,  if you asked me how I did it, I couldn't tell you. I don't remember a single thing I did to achieve the finish.