Boar Bio Paint work

MeanGene

Work in progress.

Had this sitting on my workbench with a base silver and gold coat for half a year. Decided this morning to begin finishing this. I am following the movie helmet reference image on the PC.

This was sculpted, molded and cast by me a few years back.  It's my all time favorite helmet.

It will be on my display wall. Got an empty hook for it. 👍👍

Will post progress as it develops.

PXL_20220721_122028408.jpg

PXL_20220721_122111314.jpg

PXL_20220721_123559754.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure this is near done.

Going to sleep on it for a while and see how it looks in the morning.

Going for a fairly accurate recreation of the movie helmet. At the end I was feeling the Flow and the idea popped in my head that this guy needs some algae growth.

Imagine the Boar hunting a dirty swamp. Hot humid climate.

Green algae growing on his helmet as he spend time out on safari.

So I added some green to the low areas. With the idea water would pool and algae would grow.

Let me know what you guys think.

Swamp Boar.

PXL_20220807_143722985.jpg

PXL_20220807_143728733.jpg

PXL_20220807_143735470.jpg

PXL_20220807_143739377.jpg

• Like 2

Nice Wolf! Lee makes great head. 😁 Your dreds look shiney? Special coating? Made it silicone?

Here is side by side of the two.

I sculpted this Boar helmet oversized a little. Wanted it to have a dominant presence.

But I have a feeling this Wolf is a slightly undersized casting as well.

I got my helmet from Chuck Ruffing. Helmet was an OK casting. Needed some clean up. Primed up it looks good.

Size comparison.

PXL_20220807_151035611.jpg

• Haha 1

Got myself some Boar tusks for displaying with the helmet.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1025165000/resin-boar-pig-hog-tusks-set-of-4?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=boar+tusk&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&frs=1&cns=1&organic_search_click=1

il_680x540.4053932088_bikp.jpg

Make a necklace or other from them.

Next thing I need is a proper display base for all of my helmets...
Hanging on drywall just doesn't seem right.

Measured my Wolf helmet. Measures 19 1/2" from nose to top of dome.     Boar measures 23"

Here are some of the colors used.

Gold can is a really nice acrylic spray paint. George recommended it to me. @Ptgreek

MONTANA GOLD SPRAY PAINT. <~ Manufacturer 

Has less of a stink than some of the traditional rattle cans. Really nice coloring.

(Not pictured) can of Montana gold silver acrylic spray paint. 

Really nice stuff.
Raw umber, mars black,  folk art matte 923 Clover, folk art Apple red  (Also used various greys), 
Most of these colors were mixed in combinations to get different shades of dirt or rust effect.

PXL_20220807_215353180.thumb.jpg.37f6f0b2a124a3d135adf09c1b613338.jpg

After the helmet is primed black, sprayed base coat silver and base gold on the dome.

I then go in with multiple brushes and sponges. Some water. Some thinner. Dilute paints down and rub them on, rub them off. All the whole telling myself a story of how the helmet has traveled. Paying attention to dents, areas that may have caught dirt more so than others. Highlighting those areas with layers of brown, grey, gold, rust or algae.

All comes together in some kind of natural way. Best thing is, it you don't like what you've done? Paint over it and just keep going.

Added some pics of what I am talking about.

PXL_20220807_215438123.thumb.jpg.98ed27ea45f233e73c1fd39126b5a629.jpgPXL_20220807_215513605.thumb.jpg.5a8be1f0005b6c18b4a65874cf0a73b0.jpgPXL_20220807_215518380.thumb.jpg.96181253f138400ae30c2b8705ff5cad.jpg
From my pictures I can see a few mistakes or brush marks that I can hide.
Will seal this and mount on the wall.

Video Tutorial

Adam Savage does a great tutorial painting a Hasbro Mando helmet. Talks about some of the same concepts of weathering items.

Watch it before you paint your bio elmet. Puts me in a good frame of mind.

https://youtu.be/iEaf3t3KUyg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking amazing Gene! I always think of you when I see this bio. Absolutely awesome paint up! I had really bad luck with a batch of montana cans when working on a Fett helmet so I've been scared to try them again but they always look so good! I'd love to paint up a bio. Prey has me itching for it again! Keep slaying man!

3 hours ago, SharkForge said:

Looking amazing Gene! I always think of you when I see this bio. Absolutely awesome paint up! I had really bad luck with a batch of montana cans when working on a Fett helmet so I've been scared to try them again but they always look so good! I'd love to paint up a bio. Prey has me itching for it again! Keep slaying man!

Thank you sir.
I am a bit obsessed with this Bio. Its been a big part of my "predator journey".

I hear you on being gun shy with their paints. The cans ARE NOT CHEAP. To get  a bad batch must be rough.
Make sure you let them know, as a business they would probably make good on it and give you free shipping, 5% off. Who knows.
Get back after it, the paints are awesome. All the pros seem to be using them...