Do you have to know how to sculpt to become a Predator

Hello,

I have always wanted to make a Predator 2 costume ever since I first saw the movie in theatres back in 1991. Finding this awesome page full of great how to's and such has been really awesome. The amount of talent the members of The Hunter's Lair have is nothing short of astounding. With that being said, I have a question about creating a Predator costume in general. What does one do if they have basically zero sculpting talent? I only ask, because as I have been looking at the many how to forums on making the various parts of the Predator, the head, whole body, hands and feet. I have noticed that many speak of sculpting those pieces using clay. My experience with clay is limited to High School ceramics where I tried to make a rendition of the Night on Bald Mountain Demon and basically made a giant ant hill. Recently, I did purchase a 3D printer and have printed out some really awesome parts for my custom Mandalorian costume (picture attached). I look forward to hearing any pointers other members can share. 

Thank you in advance, Daren

MythosInspiredBobaFettinParkingGarage09Mar2024.thumb.jpg.042b817eb4108e0cc6ae4f9c2e59c0b4.jpg

Daren,

I know you've already spoken to myself and a few others since posting this same question on the Lair's Facebook page, but I just wanted to say welcome once more after seeing your post here. 

Looking forward to seeing the P2 build you pursue as you tackle your neext project focused on our favorite City Hunter!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am going to do a Pajama skin for my first Predator build. I have a latex head with dreads I found on the Bay. As for the other parts, I am purchasing a pair of silicone hands from Lee Hurley. I am going to build the feet and the armor I am going to 3d print a set I bought on Cults3D. I added a picture below. As for the City Hunter, I am going to save up for a suit made by Chuck. I figure the time it takes me to print out the armor and get it all cleaned up and painted the way I want I should have saved enough for my City Hunter. 

Thank you, Daren

PredatorArmorFrontal.jpg

s-l960.webp

Predator Pajama suit.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2024 at 10:22 AM, MeanGene said:

Nice start. All these pieces  look great. Your post makes it seem like you are building two suits?
1 suit with the pajama skins and another from Chuck?

Hello Gene, 

I understand that. I am going to start off with the pajaa skin one first. While doing that I am going to save up for my ultimate Predator dream costume, The City Hunter from Predator 2. That one I will be going all out on in regards to a latex body suit, head and feet with silicone hands from Lee Hurley. One thing I have learned from building my multiple Mandalorian costumes is to pace myself. If I don't then I just waste time and throw alot of money away. I shouldn't say I waste time, because I do get good practice out of it. 

Thank you, Daren

• Like 1

Interesting. I am in possession of a bunch of city hunter suit pieces I no longer need. Most were purchased from Chuck.

Have a full set of skins, heads, hands, maybe some feet also. If you need some stuff perhaps we can work out a deal?

Let me know if you want some pictures.

• Like 1