Welcome to The Hunter's Lair
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rattlesnake - Kyra Rattler Revisit

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

Canalien

Canalien
Thomas Excellent work on these Bios, nice and clean the possibilities are endless Keep up the Great Work:)
cheers
Rhonda

DHB

DHB
Just awesome Thomas!!!!

Can't wait to see how the paint turns out. Great work

David

A Hunter's Moon

A Hunter's Moon

What grit paper are you using to sand between coats?

I'm actually using the 1000 grit but I'm not really having an issue with the paint not sticking. Guess I got lucky for once. :wacko:

A Hunter's Moon

A Hunter's Moon
I added a good deal of color to both bios. They'll have a tiny bit more work done on them but base colors are pretty much set. Grey, navy blue, gun metal, and silver were all used on the regular bio while bronze, brown, and gun metal were added to the copper helmet. I used various sponges and switched between automotive paint and acrylics on occasion. Both will get shading and highlights with a mix of sponge and airbrush. If you notice, the second bio has a tighter pattern, hopefully showing that it has less wear. Also, the silver pops a little more in person on this one but the picture doesn't show it for some reason.

Posted Image

Now, Dave and Lem, at this stage if you feel you'd like a few things tweaked give me a shout either here or by pm. Again, this is base colors only. Hope you guys are liking the direction they're both taking. I'm fairly happy with them so far.

:thumbsup:

roninpred

roninpred
Don't worry about me bud. just do your thing. I know the final result is going to kick ass!
I'm also loving the copper paint job. it looks eal . I bet you could sling some paint on P2 bio and make it look great.
thanks for the update Thomas ;)

DHB

DHB
Oh Hell Yeah !!!! Awesome !!!!! I like where your going with it. Just as Lem sead no worry's just do your thing.

Thanks again for the update bro. :)

made007

made007
they look like real metal :)

Double H

Double H
Dude, really feeling the copper bio paint up. Bet you could do a mean P2. Nice work. The other looks like real steel.

kaufmanp92eb

kaufmanp92eb
These look more and more amazing with every update.

Bo'Skarr

Bo'Skarr
It looks like the picture under you name.
when I look at the lower part of the chin piece where the two holes on the sides are at all I think of is swiss chease

A Hunter's Moon

A Hunter's Moon
Yeah, my avatar is the original version of the bio. It'll be less "swiss cheese" in a future update.

A Hunter's Moon

A Hunter's Moon
Here are the final paints on the two bios with the expection of the snout insert and tri-laser tip. I ran into a slight snag with the metallics. The sudden drop in temperature and my airbrush crapping out had me stuck redoing them for a few days. The copper bio got brass bits while the silver, well, got silver. lol Luckily I got it done despite everything.

Posted Image

The leathery sculpt around the crown and jawline were fairly simple. I peeled back the masking tape and laid down two light layers of drybrushing over the black primer. I went heavier on the copper bio so it would show a more. Some areas also recieved some airbrush shading as well. I'm in the final stretch and very excited about it all.

Tell me what you guys think . . .

Edited by A Hunter's Moon, 15 January 2012 - 09:41 AM.

Andre de Jong

Andre de Jong
I realy like the "copper" version!

I thinks it's the light but the "nose" looks brigther then the upper piece.

Posted Image

Edited by Andre de Jong, 15 January 2012 - 05:36 AM.

A Hunter's Moon

A Hunter's Moon
It's just the lighting. They also don't look so golden in person. More brass ie more copper.

Double H

Double H
Man those things are bad ass. Awesome work.

Darth Pinhead

Darth Pinhead

"Demons to some, Angels to others."

• Full Members
  • 2,204 posts
Yeah, that copper one is off the hook. Really looks mottled up the way I like it. Always good to see someone get away from the grey/silver look. Great job, brother!

hez

hez
Nice job man, those are some good paintups. I've been meaning to say about your photos, if you stand about 6' away and zoom in on them, the bios will look less rounded, and more like they do in person. Hope you don't mind the suggestion!

roninpred

roninpred
kick ass bios!
paul my hat off to ya for being so gracious and allowing Thomas to go on with his project, having said that...
we miss ya here in the states Paul!!!!!
come back!

A Hunter's Moon

A Hunter's Moon
Great tip Paul. I tend to get close up because of the crappiness of my camera. lol I'll give it a try on the next update though.

Darth Pinhead

Darth Pinhead

• Full Members
  • 2,204 posts
Or just do your cropping in Photoshop once you tweak the angles and make lighting adjustments...
Man, I love that copper one...

DHB

DHB
Amazing!! work Thomas. I really like how both came out ... especially the copper one :thumbsup:

A Hunter's Moon

A Hunter's Moon
Daves bio is done and ready to ship out! Once there he'll be adding actual lasers and possibly even el wire. Can't wait to see what he does with it. The visor mesh was primed and painted the same brass color as the other metallics. Behind it, black tint.

Posted Image

Visors can sometimes be a pain. You find your proffered plastic, mesh, and tint. You sandwich em together and your halfway done. The pain is hot gluing them in. You hold, glue, bend, glue, hold and glue some more. If you don't have decent control of the glue gun or visor it could turn into a big mess. The best tip I can give you is to practice fit the visor in the bio. Practice getting an even flow of glue from you gun on card stock and then give it a try for real.

Now, the final bio . . .

Posted Image

I took the bios overall color scheme and used it to paint the snout insert. I really enjoyed doing this one and hope Dave likes it as much as I do.

Next, up the silver bio!

Edited by A Hunter's Moon, 28 January 2012 - 05:52 AM.

Darth Pinhead

Darth Pinhead

• Full Members
  • 2,204 posts
OK, that's it; the paint-up on this is just SICK! Dude, seriously. One of the best bios I've seen on here. WOW!

roninpred

roninpred
I was going to echo Brads comment but I belive this image say's it all:
Posted Image
I can't wait to see what you do with mine!

PredatrHuntr

PredatrHuntr
Lem shit himself - you KNOW he's impressed!

Contact Us | Community Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Copyright

Copyright @ Movie Prop Sites, LLC, all rights reserved.
Visit our other sites which focus on Movie Props and the Boba Fett Costume.